Why does it say I have been logged out when I log in?

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Progeny membership management software.

Why does it say I have been logged out when I log in?

Postby [TDR] Ross Hammer » April 1st, 2009, 3:18 pm

Keywords: login conflict logged out security permissions write access
Applies To: All Stand-Alone versions

The Progeny software uses a combination of a system database and one or more user databases to store information. For Stand-Alone, these are Microsoft Access database files stored on your computer (or sometimes a networked file server). If the Progeny software is not able to modify these databases due to a lack of Windows permissions, then it may display a few different warning messages and use of the software will be significantly hampered or entirely blocked.

If you have just logged in and when attempting to search for a record, add a record, or perform some other action, are presented with a message stating, "You have been logged out, either by another person who logged in as you, or by and Administrator. You must log back in before you can continue.", your Windows login likely does not have write permissions to the system database. This may be found in one of two places, depending on your version.

Versions 8.5.8 or older:
Your system database is located in a subfolder of the installed application folder. It is easiest to find by right-clicking the Progeny launch shortcut, selecting Properties, and clicking the Find Target button. This will open a Windows Explorer folder directly to the location where Progeny is installed. All Windows users that use the Progeny software should be assigned Modify permissions to this folder and all subfolders to prevent further usage issues.
-- Typical examples are:
. . . . C:\Program Files\ProgenyPlus
. . . . C:\Program Files\ProgenyES

Versions 8.5.9 or newer:
All user-modifiable files are kept in a subfolder of the Microsoft recommended Application Data folder. All Windows users that use the Progeny software must be assigned a minimum of Modify permissions for the TDR folder and all subfolders. This is most commonly one of the two following:
-- For Windows XP:
. . . . C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TDR
-- For Windows Vista/7:
. . . . C:\ProgramData\TDR
[TDR] Ross Hammer

Return to FAQ