Why does Progeny keep prompting for my License Key?

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Progeny membership management software.

Why does Progeny keep prompting for my License Key?

Postby [TDR] Ross Hammer » January 14th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Keywords: license key prompt vista windows 7 security permissions write access
Applies To: All versions
Related Topic: Why does it say I have been logged out when I log in?

The Progeny software uses a configuration file to remember the License Key that you enter. If the Progeny software is not able to modify this configuration file due to a lack of Windows permissions, then it will prompt for the license every time the software is started and use of the software will be significantly hampered or entirely blocked.

SOLUTION #1 (Windows Vista/7)

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, this lack of permissions may be worked around by choosing to always run ProgenyES as Administrator. To do this, right-click the ProgenyES launch shortcut and select Properties, choose the Compatibility tab, and then checkmark the Run as Administrator checkbox (if available). Click the OK button to close the Properties window and Progeny should now have a small shield icon on one corner. When you start Progeny, it will ask for confirmation that you want to run as an Administrator, to which you must answer Yes.

Alternatively, the better solution is to correct the security settings to permit the configuration file to be modified. This configuration file may be found in one of two places, depending on your version.

SOLUTION #2 (All Operating Systems)

If you are not using Windows Vista or Windows 7, or the above does not correct your issue, then the following information may assist you with a resolution.

Versions 8.5.8 or older:
Your configuration file is located in the installed application folder. It is easiest to find by right-clicking the Progeny launch shortcut, selecting Properties, and clicking the Find Target button. This will open a Windows Explorer folder directly to the location where Progeny is installed. All Windows users that use the Progeny software should be assigned Modify permissions to this folder and all subfolders to prevent further usage issues.
-- Typical examples are:
. . . . C:\Program Files\ProgenyPlus
. . . . C:\Program Files\ProgenyES

Versions 8.5.9 or newer:
All user-modifiable files are kept in a subfolder of the Microsoft recommended Application Data folder. All Windows users that use the Progeny software must be assigned a minimum of Modify permissions for the TDR folder and all subfolders. This is most commonly one of the two following:
-- For Windows XP:
. . . . C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TDR
-- For Windows Vista/7:
. . . . C:\ProgramData\TDR
[TDR] Ross Hammer

Return to FAQ